Friday, February 25, 2011

#31. Feeling guilty about throwing away an old church bulletin

For how long are you expected to keep your church bulletin tucked in your Bible? Is it wrong to throw it out right away? These are some challenging questions. I feel guilty about throwing it away right after the sermon, but should I feel guilty? It's not like I'm throwing away my Bible.

This guilt has plagued me for a while. I used to keep so many of them tucked in the back pages of my Bible, that it became a hassle to carry it around. People would know I was around because of the paper trail. The bulletins were exploding out of my Bible and wanted to end their lives in a dignified way. Recycled, that is.

My wife takes notes, so she keeps hers for a while. But I don't take notes, or if I do, I take a notebook for that. So my bulletins are just pieces of papers with directions to fill in the blanks. But, since they came from a church, is it wrong to throw them away right after the service?

I'm not sure. I don't think anyone knows. It is unknowable. To be on the safe side, I keep about two weeks worth, then I start eliminating them. Sometimes I walk to the trash can in shame, hoping my wife does not notice the blasphemy I'm about to commit. But she knows. And she still loves me. And I think that's freeing me.

Have you ever felt this way?

1 comment:

  1. Yes. I have ruined two Bibles because of this. I also have several from over a year ago still tucked away some where.

    On the other hand, I have learned to be completely okay with "Sermon's over! Where's the trash can?!"

    ReplyDelete