Monday, February 21, 2011

#28. Being judged because of your Blackberry

If you see me using my BlackBerry during a church service, 98 percent of the time I'm using my Bible App. The other two percent I may be texting directions to a friend, or maybe trying to use my Shazaam application during the worship to figure out what song they're singing. It's all biblical related! Shazaam!! (I always wanted to use the name of that app in a sentence somehow)


I do admit, however, that not everyone uses their Smartphone for such noble causes. But just because some people are rude, does not mean that all of us are. So if you're like me and find yourself being judged by the people around you, there are several things we can do.


1-Tell it like it is

If the people around you give you a look of disbelief and shake their heads, it's okay to yell, "I'm reading my Bible! I'm reading my Bible!" It's also okay to participate in an informal Bible page-turning competition. When the pastor says a book and verse, you'll get there faster on your iPhone, so just simply state the facts. "First book of Corinthians chapter 13, in just 1.5 seconds."

2-Shine a Light

So the pastor dimmed the lights. The mood is now one of introspection. However, in that peaceful mood he asks for the church to open their Bibles and find a passage. Well, guess who has the only Bible with an LCD display? You do! As everyone else tries to squint their eyes to see in the darkness, you can even wear shades if you want to!

3-Go biblical on them

Now, if you really want to change things, there's definitely one direction you could take. Go to Seminary school, become a pastor, get hired, and when you're going to read your Bible to preach a sermon, pull out your new BlackBerry Torch. Oh yeah, Church 2.0.

Has this ever happened to you? Or do you know anyone who feels wrongly judged because of their phones during service?

No comments:

Post a Comment