Wednesday, February 9, 2011

#19. Pastors who don't like to use titles

Along with using the word "relevant," there's another thing some pastors do to make themselves seem more cool.

Christian: Hi there pastor Johnson!

Pastor: Please don't call me that. Call me by name.

Christian: Really?

Pastor: Yes, of course.

Christian: Alright, Bobby Ray Johnson, I have some questions on hermeneutics.

That was kind of awkward, wasn't it? Probably Pastor Johnson would have been better. I remembered once when a youth pastor wanted to try out this technique. After a week of the kids calling him by his first name, he felt that they were respecting him less. So, even more awkward, he had to ask them to call him Pastor _____ again.

Know any pastors like this?

2 comments:

  1. Actually, no. I've had Pastors do the opposite to me. Example:

    Me: Hello, Brother Johnson! I wa--

    Pastor: Please address me as Pastor, not Brother.

    Me: Okay... Pastor Johnson, I was won---

    Pastor: Call me Pastor Bob - it sounds less high-and-mighty that way! *chuckles*

    Me: !!? *stares silently* ...nevermind. *walks away*

    yeah, it's happened.

    ReplyDelete