Friday, February 18, 2011

#26. Your "theologian" friend

Everyone has a friend who went to seminary school and likes to show off a couple of the theological terms he remembers. For instance:

Me: That was a really good sermon, wasn't it?

Theo: Well, I believe the exegesis of the text, in the context of the right orthodoxy, really shows a valid representation of the incarnation.

Me: Huh? So, you liked the sermon?

Theo: Do you mean, in relation to the hermeneutics in our postmodern world? Is that what you're asking?

Me: You're gonna need new friends.

Can't this guy just have a regular conversation? I might just make him a shirt that says, "I went to Seminary School," and maybe that will help. If your "knowledge" impedes you from having a real conversation, at least in understandable terms, then you need to sell those textbooks on eBay right away.

Do you know anyone like this?

3 comments:

  1. I know several people like this.
    I avoid them at all costs because I always feel like such a moron when the conversation ends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do know someone like this.

    I can follow the conversation and even contribute, but I prefer "Yeah, that was a good sermon. I totally felt it right here" [taps chest in the heart region]

    ReplyDelete