Friday, January 21, 2011

#6. Smokeless Youth Events

No one knows exactly when it happened, but at some point, there was a nationwide secret meeting with all the youth pastors. In this meeting they decided that every youth service was lacking something of extreme importance. No, it wasn't more biblical teaching, and not even more youth-related topics.

What was needed was one thing and one thing only: a smoke machine.

Okay, perhaps that meeting never happened, but the smoke machines came and they were heavily used, and still are. In one service I went to some years ago, there was so much smoke in the altar that I could barely make out the youth leader. All I could see was one little arm being waved up and down. I assumed he was trying to hype up the crowd, but now I think he was asking for help.

The only cool thing was that I was expecting the Smoke Monster from LOST to show up at any moment. Now, that would have been a memorable service!

No comments:

Post a Comment