Friday, May 6, 2011

#51. Preaching out of thin air

Preaching is not always an easy thing. Believe it or not, I've preached several times, and it requires a lot of studying and prayer time. It is very rewarding and I love it. Thus, I'm never quick to judge a preacher on his deliverance (the content of the message is something else entirely).

It takes work and I respect all preachers who take their jobs seriously, as they should. But have you ever heard someone preach a sermon on a Bible text that doesn't exist? Say what? That's right!

Not too long ago, I used to attend one of those "name it and claim it" corporations, I mean church, and this happened to me. The preacher was well into his message, quoting different parts of Scripture and at one point, near the climax, he asks everyone to turn to "Mark 17:20." He said it twice, "Mark 17."

As you may have guessed, there is no "Mark 17," but this did not deter this preacher to give a convincing message. He went on for another half hour talking about the passage of scripture that doesn't exist. Did anyone else notice? I felt like raising my hand and saying, "Excuse me, but you kind of made up the last part of your sermon." At first, I felt bad for him, but then I didn't raise my hand afraid people would stone me or something like that. They really, really blind follow this guy, even when he preaches from a non-existent chapter of the Bible.

Has this ever happened to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment