Monday, May 23, 2011

#59. Youth pastors or leaders without a goatee

Close your eyes, now try and remember your youth pastor. Does he have a goatee or some sort of facial hair? If the answer is no, then you have been lied to. That guy could not have been your youth pastor.

I'm exaggerating of course, but in my experience, every youth leader or youth pastor that I've met had a goatee, beard or mustache. Maybe that's part of the contract? Some sort of modern age levite rite? If you're reading this and have a passion for the youth and feel called to serve and lead them, then remember these few things:

1-Grow a goatee.
2-When you talk, use your hands a lot.
3-Try and say, "What's up" whenever you can.
4-Also, when appropriate, say "Yo" a couple of times.
4-Yell for 90 percent of your sermon.
5-Be super-competitive when playing sports.

Anything else I forgot to add?

4 comments:

  1. I find this absolutely hilarious - maybe because I'm married to a youth pastor :) BUT if it wasn't for my insisting, he would not have his beard! He hates it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! That's awesome! I'm not a youth pastor, but my wife is not a big fan of me growing a beard either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have known two youth pastors without facial hair (one can not even grow facial hair). They did not last very long as youth pastors. Otherwise, spot on.

    I work with the youth quite a bit, but my focus is college. Sometimes I have a 'stache, sometimes a goatee, sometimes I do not shave at all for a month (beard), and sometimes I am sporting the five o'clock shadow. I also tend to yell a lot, be competitive in sports, and use my hands. However, I only use "Yo" when it is funny, and prefer to quote Cheech Marin in "Born in East L.A.": "Sappenin'?!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, very nice. Seems like you have a good time with those college students. Thanks for the comment and sorry that I'm responding 10,000 years later.

    ReplyDelete