Tuesday, May 17, 2011

#56. "This is the Air I Breathe" or overplayed songs

If I hear once again, "This is the Air I Breathe," or "Open the Eyes of my Heart," I think I may "accidentally" set the church on fire. Okay, no, I wouldn't do that, but I would maybe throw up a little bit.

Don't get me wrong, those are magnificent songs, but after you've heard them one hundred thousand times, then you are bound to get tired of them. Worship leaders reading this, please spare your church members the temptation to become pyromaniacs. Do not overplay a song to the point that whenever you sing it all they hear is, "blah, blah, blah blah blah, blah."

Sure, there are songs that are amazing and that really get you in the presence of God, but after a while, you need to find a new one. Give the old song a break. Don't overplay it to the point that it becomes numb, that it loses its appeal. Please, we want to remain as outstanding citizens.

How about you? What song does your church overplay all the time?

2 comments:

  1. I feel you. However, our worship leader does nothing but the same new songs over and over and over until they're not new anymore. We've done the new-ish "Revelation Song" about thirty thousand times, and trust me - changing the key and adding strings doesn't fool anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah, that's also terrible. The "Revelation Song" has probably lost just that, its revelation. Thanks for the comment and the follow!

    ReplyDelete