Tuesday, April 19, 2011

#48. Sermons via sattelite

This is a tough one. There are pros and cons. In my church, for example, many times the sermon is preached by the executive pastor via satellite. I like this for one thing and for one thing only: I can eat the doughnuts and drink my coffee without having to feel guilty. There's no eye contact. The lights are dim and most of the people around me are doing the same thing.

However, when there's a live pastor on stage, I feel guilty with every bite. Is he looking at me? Will he make a general comment about eating during a sermon and look right at me? Will he call me out in front of everyone? No wonder my stomach hates me later!

That's the pro. Now the con, it just doesn't feel the same when the pastor is not there in front of you. Sure, the message may be the best thing next to the Sermon on the Mount, but there's no sense of real community, there's no sense of the closeness that happens when people are together in a room. No matter how great technology may be, nothing can replace human contact and interaction. Executive pastors should trust campus pastors enough for them to preach the message each week, they should not feel the need to control everything. It is God's church. He will grow it.

And well, this probably means that I won't be able to have my coffee and doughnut in peace, but that's okay, I've gotten used to my stomach hating me.

No comments:

Post a Comment