Tuesday, April 12, 2011

#43. Churches without refreshments

Remember that time in the Bible where Peter and John fought over the last doughnut? Oh, no, right, that never happened. But our hip churches nowadays are all about turning church into Starbucks. And there's nothing inherently wrong with that, except of course, when your motivation to go to church early is to grab the last doughnut before your friend Tom does. Surely, you must be breaking like two commandments right there.

If people leave churches because they don't like the music and for other trivial things, it won't be long until people leave churches because they have better food somewhere else. And while kind of funny, it's really very sad.

Bob: Hey, how's your church?

Tom: Do you mean food-wise?

Bob: Of course I do!

Tom: Oh, well it's pretty amazing! This Sunday is Mac & Cheese Sunday and for dessert I think we're having frozen yogurt.

Bob: Dyn-O-Mite!!

Okay, pardon the Good Times reference, but you get the point. I really hope my prediction is not true. I pray people may fall in love with Jesus and His church and with food.

1 comment:

  1. Great post, my friend. I'm glad you're back to posting again. I have to catch up on the ones I've missed!

    ReplyDelete